xinofdoinkydoodles1

I recently had the pleasure of interviewing Xin of Doinky Doodles. We talked almost her feel as an artist and maker, her collection at Doinky Doodles, and her brick and  mortar shop by the same name. And we even have a special discount offer at the stop of the interview, so exist sure to check that out.

But first… Doinky Doodles has been featured in magazines internationally, and most recently her work was chosen by Fred Flare for singer and musician Sliimy. Information technology seems the more I see of Xin'south piece of work, the more than I honey it, and I hope yous will too….

3993154116_987b690f8d

-How did you lot get started with the Doinky Doodles?

Initially, I was working with my elder sister, and this was effectually 2006. We were working together on our label chosen Maki Squarepatch. Back then, I was solely in charge of creating the works while my sister was the marketing person-in-charge. Well, 2 years down the road, I realized we held very unlike goals for the label, thus I decided to work on my ain and to marking that modify, the label was given a new name called Doinky Doodles!. And so, Doinky Doodles! was started (or rather, connected) from there. I am even so learning…with regards to marketing and the economics-side of business.

doinkydoodles2

-Everything you lot create for Doinky Doodles is fabricated using 100% recycled clothing and fabrics. How of import is recycling and reusing to you? And why should other people care?

I grew upwardly existence quite fascinated with my maternal grandmother who was quite obsessive in collecting almost annihilation. But what I really loved about it was when she begin to show me the things she made from the materials or found objects. When I was younger, I never consciously wanted to create in order to exist more than environmentally-friendly, but now I dearest what found objects and materials themselves provide for me. Their existing textures are very fun to piece of work with. It is merely in recent years with the documentaries, films, media in general…talking well-nigh environmental issues that I became a lot more conscious in my working processes. Making sure the work processes produces as piddling wastage as possible. I appreciate customers care in knowing that I work with recycled fabrics so they take a improve understanding when I tell them I cannot indistinguishable a work. Once something is made here at Doinky, at that place really is only one of it- in colors and textures.

-Is Doinky Doodles your full time job?

Yup!

doinkyshop

-How did you get your retail space started? Do you lot only sell things you create there, or are their other designer/ creators too?

Upon settling on the space, my mom and I took approximately 4 months getting the shop ready. She helped me find the right people to fix up the space. Like people to make the cupboards, ready the lights, construct a restroom, etc. She is actually vivid at that. On my side, I worked at creating the overall await and feel of the space as well every bit inviting local crafters/artists/designers to contribute their creation to the shop.

doinkyart

-Your paintings and drawings seem to exist a direct extension of your handmade goods for Doinky Doodles . They are playful and a piddling eerie (in a adept manner) at the same time. Do you prefer ane media over another?

I practice love both media equally. But when it comes to the human activity of doing information technology, I do adopt painting over sewing. Sewing…I become pricked with needles and it hurts similar hell! For painting, the accident-adventure is near aught.

doinky1

-What advice would you give to others who are looking to start a craft business? Whatever tips you tin can share?

The latest lesson learnt would be—Larn to keep very strong mentally and independently. I used to whine like a baby when the going gets tough. Whine to my friends, family, pets…etc. Till ane of my friends told me to buck upwardly and not whine like a baby, and focus, focus, focus.

doinkyshirts

-Annihilation else y'all would similar to share with us?

If I am not sewing, I would beloved to be a dough-kneader at some grandma-grandpa-type baker. I am in love with freshly made bread at bakeries. The olfactory property, the colors, the shapes…everything nigh staff of life is very wonderful.

studio-1

Thanks so much for the interview Xin! Please visit Doinky Doodles shop and website for more, and don't forget to use these discount codes for your order…

Special Discount Offer from Doinky Doodles:

-Enter "papernstitch1" as the discount code at checkout for purchase of i item. (ten% off)
-Enter "papernstitch2" as the discount code at checkout for purchase of 2 items. (20% off)
-Enter "papernstitch3" as the discount lawmaking at checkout for purchase of 3 or more items. (30% off)